Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Huh?

I look forward to Wednesday's paper because of the Food section that runs weekly, with recipes, wine reviews and other fun stuff that makes a kitchen geek like me happy. The weekly sales flyers for local groceries are usually in Wednesday's paper as well. I just glanced at the Safeway flyer which boldly proclaims a GRAND RE-OPENING of one particular store nenearby.

Trouble is? That is - no joke - I think the seventh 'grand reopening' for this same store in the last 15 months. Why can't they just run a flyer that says Big Sale instead of touting a chronic case of GRAND REOPENING. Can't be too grand if it takes you seven tries to get it right. This irks me enough that I don't want to shop there.



This morning, my headache seemed more determined than ever and whenever I stood up, I felt sick and dizzy. It decided that it would be wiser to stay home and rest than to get behind the wheel of my car and risk a problem.

At roughly 9 am, someone knocked on the front door. I got out of bed and opened the door.... no one was there. And wouldn't you know it, no sooner had I gotten back into bed than the knocking repeated.

Again... no one at the door. I stepped onto the porch and looked around. There wasn't even anyone on the street.

About the fifth incident, I yanked that door open fast as heck and glimpsed a flurry of brown feathers streaking into the bush. Go figure.

All day long, a dang sparrow has done battle with the storm door and the side windows like he's got a starring role in Hitchcock's classic. Nothing I have tried has dissuaded this feathered Don Qixote and he's still at it even now. I hope he has a headache to rival mine, that's all I can say.

All I wanted was a long nap but I got a woodpecker-wannabe instead.

Mother Nature's on my short list today.

9 comments:

DeeDee said...

I'm down to you on the list!!!
Lemme tell you about this dumbass bird that kept flying full speed ahead into my front window. That bird did it for a good two weeks before I found the nest and knocked it down. What is up with them birds??

2Forgetful said...

Mother Nature's pollen is on MY list. Although I have to laugh at your head banging sparrow!

a Tonggu Momma said...

you don't have much luck with animals, do you? :)

Anonymous said...

WHAT is it with you and animals? Sheesh!

Suzie said...

I think that sparrow knew exactly what he was doing.

That Chick Over There said...

So basically, every time the store is open it's a grand re-opening? Nice.

At about 4:30pm today? I'm going to have the grand re-opening of my Hyundai Santa Fe. Refreshments will not be served.

queenrandom said...

Leave it to you to get ding-dong-ditched by a bird.

Heather J. said...

I would have shot it, seriously.

I hope you're feeling better.

Curiosity Killer said...

LOL - I would yanking and snapping at my front door on the second knock! And that's without a HEADACHE!

Hope you feel better soon... (tip-toe out of the blog..)