Wednesday, April 18, 2007

We're moving.

No, really. We're moving right now. Sort of.... in a haphazard, inefficient what-the-heck-is-WRONG-with-me kind of way. The bulk of the moving activity will actually occur on Saturday, then we have the March of Dimes Walk America on Sunday morning - a worthy cause to which I'd committed myself MONTHS before the whole moving idea came up.

Jacob was pre-term, and we were so very very fortunate that my doctors got the pre-term labor stopped three times, buying him precious additional weeks in utero. Believe me, I know JUST how lucky we really were and not a day goes by that I don't offer a prayer of thanks... not only for my son but also my friends' children who were also pre-term. And also a prayer for the mothers whose stories don't include a baby in their arms, but only in their hearts... because all the medical advances made can't yet give every story a happy ending.

Premature birth is reaching epidemic levels in this country and no one quite knows why. ONE IN EIGHT pregnancies will end in a preterm birth. I'd go to the ends of the earth for my own children... and if my walking a few miles can help prevent another family from going through this, well... there we'll be.

(March of Dimes for more information. And cheer us on Sunday morning.)

And then we'll go back to moving furniture and boxes in the afternoon, tired but happier for the knowledge that we just might make a difference to someone else's family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're raising money at work for the March of Dimes this week. For $20, we get to wear jeans all week. And like you, it's a charity close to my heart, since Little Man should have been a premature baby. And I feel so lucky every day that he ended going full term and that he's a healthy boy.

Good luck with the move!!!!

velocibadgergirl said...

Good luck with the move, and I hope you have gorgeous weather for the walk!

xoxo

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

My niece was born pre-term, and it was pretty scary. Good luck with all the craziness. =)

my4kids said...

Good luck with your move.

Preemie babies are close to my heart as well. Joshua my now 10 year old was a preemie 8 weeks early his weight made him seem big but is was all water weight. He was actually pretty little. Also I have a neice born the same year as he was who weighed 17 ozs at birth and is bigger then he now 10 years later! I have a banner on my website for if any one would want to make a donation to the march of dimes but I am working on a post to go with it so I don't think anyone has noticed it yet.