Friday, February 16, 2007

Ice Ice Baby

Aaaaaaaaaaand the DC area is still under siege by dastardly COLD. And ice. Schools are still closed throughout the tri-state area. I haven't been to the grocery store so I cannot report on the bread/milk/eggs/toilet paper situation, but they're calling for FLURRIES tomorrow night. Cue hand-wringing across the region.


I do feel bad for the people who lost power on Tuesday and still haven't got it back. That BITES. Our furnace died on Christmas eve two years back and we went three or four days without any heat until it could be replaced. At least we had electricity and could run space heaters.


In other news, I made my DH feel bad last night. An insert in the local paper featured one of the Dove pro-age commercials: http://www.doveproage.com/home.asp
I forget what he said. It was something fairly innocent but it had to do with "why the hell are they running THAT in an ad?"
Me? I think it ROCKS. I love their new campaigns. Real Women Have Curves. Beauty Has No Age. And the one with the little girls I find particularly compelling. http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/commercial.asp?src=InsideCampaign_commercial
I told my husband "This is the best damn ad I think I've ever seen. These are REAL women, they aren't models, they aren't air-brushed and they aren't false images of what society thinks we ought to look like. I love these ads."
And I do. They certainly make me want to spend my money on their product. I'm 40 years old. I bulge, I sag, I have grey in my hair. I'm ok with that. And I LOVE these ads because they don't say to me that I shouldn't be ok with it. That's awesome.

2 comments:

velocibadgergirl said...

Man, that commercial makes me tear up EVERY time I see it. Every time.

I get that a lot of people are down on Dove because they see it as manipulative to tout "real beauty" and then sell cosmetics and age-defying products. I still love the campaign, and I figure more people will absorb the positive message than will be conflicted about it.

M said...

Oh hooray! I didn't know you were actually blogging! I thought you'd just done a fake out to comment! Glory be! WEEE! Now I can keep up on you! Fantastic and a half! :) Happy Friday!