Thursday, April 3, 2008

And the ever-lovin' cheese stands alone

So! I mentioned this part time gig, right? As a checker! In a grocery! And they threw me on a register this week! Before I finished training! Because a live body is better than no body! Even if that body hasn't even been shown how to work the freakin' phone!

Good lord.

And last night, I got left on the registers alone, with a long line of annoyed customers because... who knows. Seriously. My second day on the job, I've got 14 people in line and no one to be seen. That went over well. Especially because they were all trying to hit the mega sale before it ended and the carts? They were overflowing. Thank heavens I am a quick learner because that was sort of like rolling your car onto the freeway in order to learn to drive a manual transmission...

No one appears to get along with each other, either, and they complain about their jobs in front of the customers. Hoo boy. This is going to be a treat, I can tell.

I can do this. Hell, I have teenagers, this ought to be a doodle.

(Does that make me a can-do optimist or one really dumb bunny?)


And last night, adding insult to ... well, insult since injury actually took the night off, I stepped onto my scale and my jaw dropped. I mean, I'd noticed my pants seemed a tad loose but.. had I REALLY dropped ten pounds? Oh frabjuous day, calloo callay I was SERIOUSLY chortling in my joy and I called the husband to witness. Uh right. The scale? It was sitting on one of those godforsaken SOCKS and not weighing accurately. I hadn't lost any weight at all. The socks get me again.

6 comments:

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Socks are EVIL.

Mean, horrible, adulterous things they are.

Suzie said...

I gotta try the sock thing. It sounds great.

Suzie said...

I had a dream about gerbils last night. I think its because you never visit anymore....sniff

Gerbil said...

actually i do... but i've been having problems trying to leave comments from the handheld. it keeps crashing on me. but i have a lot of catch-up commenting to do tonight

Anonymous said...

Man, I don't even own a scale. Scales are the devil. But if I ever get one, I'm getting some socks along with it...

frannie said...

well, doesn't that just suck!